[Dovecot] High CPU utilization on Solaris 10

Peter Eriksson peter at ifm.liu.se
Thu Aug 16 23:21:36 EEST 2007

Jon Alessandrello skrev:
> Some people had this problem when giving some superoptimization flags
> with Sun Studio. Did you do that?  -Timo
>

> No I did not use any optimization.
>
> And Dave, I took what you said and just tried both
> dovecot-1.0.2
> dovecot-1.0.rc29
>
> and have the same exact results :(

We are also seeing lot's of problems with high CPU utilizations
on Solaris 10, but in the IMAP daemon. We found one way around it
and that is to disable the IDLE support. By disabling IDLE our CPU
load went from 100 to 3 (on a 6-core Sun T1000 (looks like a 24 CPU
machine). We typically have 100-300 users accessing this server using
POP3 and IMAP.

We also saw a lot of pollsys() calls when trussing it. We haven't had
time to debug it further though. I tried compiling the source file
that calculates the ioloop timeout using "-O" instead of "-fast" but
that didn't make any difference.

- Peter

- Peter