[Dovecot] UW-IMAP to Dovecot conversion - How to migrate the folders?

Patrick - South Valley Internet patrickm at garlic.com
Wed Aug 22 00:15:14 EEST 2007

Philipp Kolmann wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 03:21:20PM -0700, Patrick - South Valley Internet wrote:
>
>> We just migrated away from our AIX machines which were running Postfix
>> and UW-IMAP.  We're now running Postfix with Dovecot.  I already
>> converted everyone's mbox file to maildir, but now I'm having a little
>> troubles with how to exactly populate their IMAP folders.  People are
>> saying they cannot see their folders.  These 'folders' they are talking
>> about can be found in their /home directory.
>>

> We just moved from HPUX to linux and there we had the problem, that with IMAP
> and UW-IMAPd you had to specify a Folder Path in the client. With Dovecot and
> Maildir you don't need this.
>
> Check if your users have set this folder path. That solved a lot of problems
> here.
>
> Philipp

Hi Philipp,

Our users are using Outlook Express and Outlook.  I just set up an IMAP
account that is having the issue and I didn't specify any folders.  I
just used the defaults.

What's even more odd is that when I created a new folder within Outlook
Express, I see it in /home/USERNAME/Maildir/subscriptions, but I don't
see the folder anywhere...how does Dovecot see these IMAP folders?  Is
there some sort of tag that is contained within each Maildir email that
tells what folder it goes in to?

Patrick