[Dovecot] removing IMAP keywords?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Aug 24 18:54:36 EEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 08:53 +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Kyle Wheeler <kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net> [2007.08.23.2103 +0200]:
> > Check out section 9, Formal Syntax. Specifically, "flag-keyword", which is
> > defined to be an "atom", which is a sequence of ANY character except the
> > "atom-specials". In other words, a flag-keyword is a string of one or more
> > characters, not including (, ), {, " ", control characters, %, *, ", \, and
> > ].
>
> So this would mean we could use UTF-7 (RFC 2152) to encode pretty
> much anything in those tags.

It could be a good idea to talk about it first in imap-protocol list to
see if other people have better ideas.

> Is there a maximum length? I could not tell from the document.

No. Dovecot has a setting for the maximum length, which is 50 by
default. UW-IMAP has a limit of 30 I think. I don't know about others.

As for removing keywords, I was planning on implementing it for v1.1,
but it got delayed. The idea was anyway that if keyword is unused it
would be removed automatically after a while, possibly only if the
Maildir's 26 keyword limit is reached. I hadn't thought about exact
rules yet. In any case there is no IMAP command for it.