[Dovecot] Log format question...

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Aug 26 01:38:56 EEST 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-25 at 10:48 -0600, Mike Cisar wrote:
> > > auth_username_format = %n
> >
> > This setting drops the domain part permanently.

> I guess the easiest way of explaining what I mean is to say... is there any
> reason (programming-wise) that the value of %u can't always be left the full
> user at domain from the client request, %n always be just the username portion
> and %d always the domain portion... from the start of execution of the
> client request to the end?  Treated as constants rather than modified
> partway through the execution?  Whether we use %n in one spot doesn't seem
> to negate that we might want %u and %d for something somewhere else.

The problem is how auth_username_format works. It permanently changes %u
(and as a result %n and %d too) to the newly specified format, which in
your case drops the domain.

Perhaps it should only change %u temporarily for the passdb and userdb
lookups, but still not touch the username sent to mail process. Except
some people probably want it to change it permanently, so I can't just
change the behavior without possibly breaking existing setups. And I
don't really like adding a new auth_username_lookup_format setting
either, there are too many settings already. Hmm.