[Dovecot] Migrate 0.99 MBox into 1.0rc15-2

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Aug 26 23:24:44 EEST 2007

On Aug 26, 2007, at 4:00 PM, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>>    Perhaps what we really need is a wiki page to allay the fears
>> of  the
>> people who pathetically find such difficulty in "./
>> configure;make;make
>> install".
>
> That's fine if you have only a single system and don't need to
> track installed files through a packaging system.

   I currently maintain about thirty systems of three different
processor architectures and four different OSs (*different OSs*, not
"different Linux 'distros'").  It isn't a problem (or even a
bottleneck) in that environment.  Several good centralized software
management schemes have been around for a very, very long time.  I
don't use *any* "package management" systems...they are more trouble
than they're worth.  The very existence of this thread is an example. ;)

> At the very least, one should wrap that idiom in the distro's
> packaging scheme, such as "rpmbuild --rebuild dovecot-
> xxxx.src.rpm ; su ; rpm -Uvh dovecot-xxxx.i386.rpm".

   Hmm, that does sound like a good idea.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire