[Dovecot] 1.0.8 install trouble on Ubuntu dapper (PAM)

John Gateley dovecot at jfoo.net
Mon Dec 3 00:15:44 EET 2007

Hi,

I was running the Ubuntu dovecot package until now, and decided to
upgrade because of an issue with Thunderbird. I downloaded and
compiled 1.0.8, and it's not starting up. The error I'm getting is:

Dec  2 15:35:04 jfootoo dovecot: auth(default): Unknown passdb driver
'pam' (typo, or Dovecot was built without support for it? Check with
dovecot --build-options)

I used "./configure" and "./configure --with-pam", both give the same
error message.
dovecot --build-options gives:
uild options: ioloop=poll notify=dnotify ipv6 openssl
SQL drivers:
Passdb: checkpassword passwd passwd-file shadow
Userdb: checkpassword passwd prefetch passwd-file static

I have a dovecot that I compiled for a different system and
it includes "pam" in the Passdb line.

I found a page on the web saying I might need the pam-devel package,
but that doesn't seem to exist for ubuntu.

I saved the output from ./configure, grepped for pam, and got:

checking for pam_start in -lpam... no

Any ideas? What do I need to get configure to do pam support?

Thanks very much