[Dovecot] Allowing tilde at start of mailbox names [listescape-plugin.c]

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Mon Dec 3 02:47:02 EET 2007

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 03:01:51AM -0500, Adam McDougall wrote:

  On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 08:28:52PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

    On 25.7.2007, at 19.13, pod wrote:

  >>     TS> It's mostly there just to make sure that ~/ or ~user/ can't be
  >>     TS> used to open mailboxes where you weren't supposed to have access
  >>     TS> to. I didn't think anyone would really want to have mailboxes
  >>     TS> beginning with ~. Do you really want them? (I don't think they
  >>     TS> were possible with UW-IMAP either?)
  >>
  >> Unfortunately yes it would be useful in my case to have them because of
  >> historical accident.

    How about if listescape plugin escaped it? That would make it possible to
    use them but still safe against accidental problems.

    For others too, I implemented a plugin for escaping mailbox names with
    Maildir so that it's possible to use '.' in mailbox names:
    http://dovecot.org/patches/1.0/listescape-plugin.c

  I am using the 1.1 version of this plugin.  So far it seems to be working fine.
  Is there a chance of having it be an official plugin distributed with 1.1?
  That would make it fit into my build environment alot cleaner, as well as
  a FreeBSD port I intend to submit so others can build 1.1 easily.  One way
  or another I plan to keep using listescape and will need to find the best way
  to keep it functioning alongside dovecot upgrades, even if that means compiling
  and installing it manually each time.  Thanks.

Actually two issues came up.  I think they are both involving folder listing.

- In squirrelmail, if I am subscribed to #shared/decs with the listescape
plugin enabled, the shared folders such as #shared/decs/network are greyed out.
#shared/decs is a public namespace and the only reason I would be subscribed to
it is for Outlook Express's sake or so Squirrelmail will show the shared folder
hierarchy (same reason for subscribing to #shared, but being subscribed to #shared
doesn't seem to hurt anything).  I think squirrelmail sees the subscription to
the folder (I can subscribe to unsubscribed shared folders too) but when it tries
to LIST the folder, it gets nothing.

- In all programs, it seems like listing folders in my additional private hidden
namespaces comes up with nothing.  a LIST "" "mail/%"  a OK List completed.
If I try to access a folder under mail/ directly by typing the path into mutt,
it works.

with listescape:
---------------------------
a list "" "dot.test"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "dot.test"
a OK List completed.

a LIST "" "mail/"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "mail/"
a OK List completed.

a LIST "" "mail/%"
a OK List completed.

(a LSUB "" "*" shows all the folders I am subscribed to, including #shared/decs/network)

a LSUB "" "#shared/%"
* LSUB () "/" "#shared/decs"
a OK Lsub completed.

a LIST "" "#shared/decs"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "#shared/decs"
a OK List completed.

a LSUB "" "#shared/decs/%"
a OK Lsub completed.

a LIST "" "#shared/decs/network"
a OK List completed.

(for some reason in squirrelmail, if I am unsubscribed from #shared/decs with the listescape
plugin enabled, the shared folders such as #shared/decs/network are not greyed out and work,
but I cant seem to easily reproduce that result with imap commands.

Without listescape loaded:
-------------------------------
a list "" "dot\\2etest"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." {10}
dot\2etest
a OK List completed.

a LIST "" "mail/"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "mail/"
a OK List completed.

a LIST "" "mail/%"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "mail/20041223"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "mail/20050324"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "mail/APA-MEA-DISCUSS"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "mail/Drafts"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "mail/IMAP"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "mail/Junk E-mail"
(etc, all the folders I expect)

a LSUB "" "#shared/%"
* LSUB () "/" "#shared/decs"
a OK Lsub completed.

a LIST "" "#shared/decs"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "#shared/decs"
a OK List completed.

a LSUB "" "#shared/decs/%"
* LSUB () "/" "#shared/decs/unixadmin"
* LSUB () "/" "#shared/decs/support"
* LSUB () "/" "#shared/decs/security"
* LSUB () "/" "#shared/decs/printmaster"
* LSUB () "/" "#shared/decs/postmaster"
* LSUB () "/" "#shared/decs/pcadmin"
* LSUB () "/" "#shared/decs/network"
* LSUB () "/" "#shared/decs/linuxadmin"
a OK Lsub completed.

a LIST "" "#shared/decs/network"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "/" "#shared/decs/network"
a OK List completed.

# 1.1.beta9: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
ssl_cert_file: /usr/local/etc/apache2/ssl/mail.egr.msu.edu.pem
ssl_key_file: /usr/local/etc/apache2/ssl/mail.egr.msu.edu.pem
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
mail_max_userip_connections: 25
verbose_proctitle: yes
first_valid_uid: 1000
first_valid_gid: 1000
mail_extra_groups: postlocal
mail_location:
maildir:%h/Maildir:CONTROL=%h/Maildir/dovecot/private/control:INDEX=%h/Maildir/dovecot/private/indexes
mmap_disable: yes
dotlock_use_excl: yes
mail_nfs_storage: yes
mail_nfs_index: yes
mail_plugins: acl fts fts_squat listescape
mail_log_max_lines_per_sec: 0
imap_client_workarounds: delay-newmail netscape-eoh tb-extra-mailbox-sep
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /
  inbox: yes
  list: yes
  subscriptions: yes
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /
  prefix: mail/
  hidden: yes
  subscriptions: yes
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /
  prefix: Mail/
  hidden: yes
  subscriptions: yes
namespace:
  type: public
  separator: /
  prefix: #shared/decs/
  location:
maildir:/egr/mail/shared/decs:CONTROL=%h/Maildir/dovecot/public/control/decs:INDEX=%h/Maildir/dovecot/public/indexes/decs
  list: yes
  subscriptions: yes
auth default:
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb:
    driver: passwd
    args: system_user=
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
      mode: 384
      user: postfix
      group: postfix
plugin:
  acl: vfile:/usr/local/etc/dovecot-acls:cache_secs=10
  fts: squat