[Dovecot] De-duplication / Single Instance Storage - WAS: Re: Updated v1.1 and summer plans

Mon Dec 3 14:52:25 EET 2007

On 12/2/2007, Timo Sirainen (tss at iki.fi) wrote:
 > On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 10:02 -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:
 >> Do you have any idea as to a time frame for when you might be able
 >> to get to it (Single instance Storage)? Are you thinking post
 >> v2.0? Even 2.1 or 3.0?

 > Right now I just want to get v1.1 finished. The main problem with it
 > is that apparently in some installations it's slower than v1.0 and I
 > haven't yet figured out why. And I want Squat rewrite to be included
 > in it too (almost finished! just committed it to hg).
 >
 > After v1.1 I'm not sure. I'm more interested in implementing other
 > features first (like v2.0's config rewrite, replication, etc.), but
 > once I'm beginning to run out of money I'll start doing pretty much
 > anything people pay me to do ;)

Heh - understood... I'll talk to my boss, but he's - well, to put it
politely, its a bit difficult to get money out of him...

Actually, I'm looking into some form of file-system level
de-duplication, which may negate the need for this...

Anyone know of anything available on the cheap/free side?

--

Best regards,

Charles