[Dovecot] dovecot process nice value

Daniel Watts d at nielwatts.com
Mon Dec 3 18:25:59 EET 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 13:05 +0000, Daniel Watts wrote:
>> My imap processes seem to all be running with a nice value of -15 (top
>> priority). Is this usual? Not sure if this is a dovecot setting or
>> something going on with my own system configuration somewhere.
>
> Normally Dovecot doesn't touch processes' priorities, so they all run
> with whatever priority was specified for the master process when
> starting it.

Hi timo - thanks for this.
The /usr/sbin/dovecot process itself was indeed niced to -15.
Why would that be? Can dovecot specify it's own nice value upon startup?
When you say 'specified for the master process' I'm not sure if you mean
in a config somewhere.

Thanks,
Dan

--
Running Squirrelmail 1.5.2 in Production
PHP 5.x Hardened with Eaccelerator