[Dovecot] exim/kmail vs. dovecot

Stephen Usher Stephen.Usher at earth.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 6 12:01:40 EET 2007

Kristian Koehntopp wrote:
> I am using exim via dovecot_deliver to store messages in Maildir in my $HOME.
> I am using kmail to retrieve stuff. Unfortunately, something in my data
> crashes dovecot.
>
> I was using 1.0.rc14 from opensuse, but downloaded and installed 1.0.8 from
> the site.

Kmail doesn't use a proper version of Maildir internally, it also assumes that
it's the only program accessing the files and so play fast and loose. Not only
this but it also has its own index files and gets extremely confused if things
change underneath it. It's really a nasty client underneath the skin.

I would suggest that you deliver your e-mail elsewhere and have kmail access the
folders via IMAP, even though it's not very nice to do so. (Kmail will overload
the IMAP server if you're not careful.)

I can tell you this from experience as I used Kmail for a number of years in a
production environment until quite recently.

Steve
Computer Systems Administrator,                E-Mail:-steve at earth.ox.ac.uk
Department of Earth Sciences,                     Tel:-  +44 (0)1865 282110
University of Oxford, Parks Road, Oxford, UK.     Fax:-  +44 (0)1865 272072