[Dovecot] Compiling with SQL support

Mark Smith mark.smith at internode.on.net
Fri Dec 7 02:38:12 EET 2007

Hello all,

I am currently having a slight problem (ok well more likely me just not
doing it right), with compiling Dovecot with MySQL support. The version
is 1.0.8. I have tried running configure with --with-sql and
--with-sql-drivers, but this however still does not compile MySQL
support, I do no wish to install MySQL on this server, as I am using a
network SQL server, but I do have the compiled source available on this
server. I have tried running:

gcc -shared -fPIC -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DBUILD_MYSQL \
-I../.. -I../lib -I../lib-settings -I/data/mysql/include/mysql \
driver-mysql.c -o driver_mysql.so -lmysqlclient

inside the /src/lib-sql, but this just returns an error that mysqlclient
cannot be found.

I have tried running dovecot --build-options, but MySQL is not listed
here, the operating system is FreeBSD 6.2.

The documentation does not seem to be giving any hints as to why this is
not working, nor do How Tos.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark Smith