[Dovecot] open files

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Dec 7 16:38:18 EET 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 11:23 +0000, Steve Heaven wrote:
> This morning dovecot stopped allowing pop3 logins. In the logs I found
> the messages below
> Is there a config value for the max open files ?
>

> Dec  7 10:00:22 frigga dovecot: execv(/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3)
> failed: Too many open files
> Dec  7 10:01:14 frigga dovecot: pipe() failed: Too many open files

You probably had lots and lots of pop3 processes running, overflowing
the number of available fds for logging. v1.1 gives a warning about this
at startup.

Change your ulimit or settings so that "ulimit -n" before starting
Dovecot gives a somewhat larger number than max_mail_processes +
login_max_processes_count.