[Dovecot] Corrupted Transaction Log File: v1.0.7

Daniel Watts d at nielwatts.com
Fri Dec 7 17:01:29 EET 2007

[snip]

>> Dec  7 14:19:26 locallog at tg3/tg3 dovecot: IMAP(peter.day at mydomain.com):
>> Corrupted transaction log file
>> /home/virtual/mydomain.com/home/peter.day/Maildir/.Trash/dovecot.index.log:
>> Append with UID 50, but next_uid = 15870
>>

> This is the real error. What kind of a system do you have? Do you use
> NFS or other shared filesystem? Post your dovecot -n output?

Standard local disk partition. No NFS.

tg3 daniel # dovecot -n
# 1.0.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
syslog_facility: local5
protocols: imap imaps pop3 pop3s
listen(default): *:143
listen(imap): *:143
listen(pop3): *:110
ssl_listen(default): *:993
ssl_listen(imap): *:993
ssl_listen(pop3): *:995
ssl_cert_file: /var/ssl/certs/imapd.pem
ssl_key_file: /var/ssl/private/imapd.pem
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
login_process_per_connection: no
login_processes_count: 5
verbose_proctitle: yes
default_mail_env: maildir:/home/virtual/%h
mail_location: maildir:/home/virtual/%h
mail_full_filesystem_access: yes
mmap_disable: yes
dotlock_use_excl: yes
fsync_disable: yes
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks: yes
mail_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
mail_process_size: 128
mail_plugins(default): imap_quota quota
mail_plugins(imap): imap_quota quota
mail_plugins(pop3): quota
mail_plugin_dir: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_log_max_lines_per_sec: 30
imap_client_workarounds(default): outlook-idle delay-newmail
imap_client_workarounds(imap): outlook-idle delay-newmail
imap_client_workarounds(pop3): outlook-idle
pop3_uidl_format: %08Xv%08Xu
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /
  inbox: yes
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /
  prefix: mail/
  location: maildir:/home/virtual/%h
  hidden: yes
auth default:
  cache_size: 2048
  cache_ttl: 900
  master_user_separator: *
  worker_max_count: 5
  passdb:
    driver: passwd-file
    args: /etc/master.pwd
    master: yes
  passdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot-mysql.conf
  userdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot-mysql.conf
plugin:
  quota: maildir

>> Shouldn't Dovecot be able to recover from this?
>>

> It does, that's why there are those "marked corrupted" errors. But it
> probably does cause the current operation to fail. v1.1 handles this by
> logging the error but continuing anyway, so the operation shouldn't
> fail.
>
> If you mean that it repeatedly fails with the same error, then the same
> error condition is created over and over again for some reason.

Yes it repeatedly fails until I manually remove the index files. However
after removing them it does not seem to reoccur.

Thanks Timo,
Dan