[Dovecot] Stale NFS file handle and duplicated messages

Adrian Barker A.Barker at ucl.ac.uk
Sat Dec 8 13:29:52 EET 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 10:21 +0000, Adrian Barker wrote:
>> We recently moved all our users from the Washington IMAP server to
>> Dovecot. There has been a substantial improvement in performance, but
>> some users are reporting duplicate messages, and we see 'Stale NFS file
>> handle' errors in the syslog. Does anyone know what would cause this ?
>> The errors relate to the index file, eg.
>>
>> Nov 29 00:49:47 imap-e.ucl.ac.uk dovecot: [ID 107833 mail.error]
>> IMAP(ccaazzz): close() failed with index
>>  file /home/ccaazzz/imap-mail/.imap/mbox/dovecot.index: Stale NFS file
>> handle
>>
>> Our IMAP servers (5 of them) are a mixture of Sparc Solaris 8 and
>> Solaris 10 machines, using NFS to a central mailspool running on
>> AIX. We are using a mixture of Dovecot 1.0.3 and 1.0.5.
>
> Have you read http://wiki.dovecot.org/NFS? v1.0 still has some problems
> with NFS if you try to access the mailboxes from multiple servers at the
> same time. I've done a lot of work on v1.1 to get this working right.
>
> I'd suggest either
>
> a) Move index files to local disks
>
> b) Try how v1.1 works with mail_nfs_*=yes settings. I'm going to make
> the first v1.1 "release candidate" soon, maybe within a few days. Beta10
> still has one performance issue unfixed, so might not be a good idea to
> use that yet. :)

Thanks for replying. I have read the wiki page on using NFS. In general,
our users should only be accessing a single IMAP server at any one time
- we have a hardware load-balancer in front of the IMAP servers, but it
is possible that some have IMAP clients on multiple machines that are
left running. This can be checked from the logs. Would keeping the index
files locally on the IMAP servers have an impact on performance ? Before
moving to Dovecot, IMAP performance was a very fraught issue, and the
benefits of Dovecot have been substantial - the load on some of our file
servers is 1/4 of what it was before the change, so we are very grateful
for all the work that has gone into Dovecot. Unless the problem gets
worse, we can probably wait until 1.1 is released.

--

Adrian Barker,
Internet Technology Section
Email: A.Barker at ucl.ac.uk