[Dovecot] disconnect after too many errors?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Dec 9 00:18:41 EET 2007

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007, Peter Hessler wrote:

> There are a couple of jerks that are tying to dictionary attack my
> email server, and one of the vectors is pop3/imap logins.  Something I
> would like to do in dovecot, but can't seem to find, is the ability to
> disconnect after a certain number of errors.  The vast majority of my
> users (i.e. me) don't hand-type POP3 or IMAP transactions, but when we
> do, we know how to spell things properly.

I would use fail2ban, which listens for log files and then adds firewall
rules banning the idiots or alternately uses hosts.deny to ban the idiots.
(I personally prefer the use of hosts.deny.)

-- Asheesh.

--
Do you know the difference between a yankee and a damyankee?

A yankee comes south to *visit*.