[Dovecot] Is dovecot the right choice for this problem?

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sun Dec 9 01:17:03 EET 2007

At 11:05 PM -0600 12/7/07, Darren McLaughlin wrote:
>Bill,
>
>There's a ringing endorsement of Verio.

And maybe not quite fair, since your first paraphrasing came across
as further from reality than the second...

>They told me that the
>server had a"group mail file" and all the users had their mail
>stored together.  If I installed Dovecot, they said it would split
>the mailboxes up into individual files, and reduce the load on teh
>server, thus allowing it to better handle large mailboxes.  I guess
>they are just making it up as they go along...  thanks for the info
>though.  I suppose I will seek an independent email host somewhere
>and have their mail forwarded, or upgrade my server on verio.

As Timo noted, that sounds a little closer to a common circumstance
of a mailstore running UW-IMAP or qpopper or ipop3d some other old
mailstore server that only uses classic mbox files. That's not one
file for everyone, but one file for all of each user's delivered but
undeleted mail. That can cause performance problems that are largely
resistant to simple CPU or memory upgrades, so changing the mailstore
format to something else like maildir (used by Dovecot and Courier)
is a better approach. This is particularly a problem if you have
users with very large collections of mail that they treat as
permanent on the server but are only accessing via POP through a
POP-only server.

Incidentally, it is helpful to understand and use the
terminology/jargon carefully. A "mail queue" usually refers to the
directories used for very temporary storage of mail on its way in or
out of a server, while the terms "mailbox," "mailstore," "mail
spool," and "mail file" usually refer to the place(s) where delivered
messages sit until the user asks a POP or IMAP server handling those
mailboxes to delete them. Mail queues are handled by mail transport
agents, aka "MTA's" like Sendmail or Postfix.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com