[Dovecot] disconnect after too many errors?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Dec 9 21:13:09 EET 2007

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007, Peter Hessler wrote:

> There are a couple of jerks that are tying to dictionary attack my
> email server, and one of the vectors is pop3/imap logins.  Something I
> would like to do in dovecot, but can't seem to find, is the ability to
> disconnect after a certain number of errors.  The vast majority of my
> users (i.e. me) don't hand-type POP3 or IMAP transactions, but when we
> do, we know how to spell things properly.

Another suggestion via PAM:

"pam_shield blocks IPs"
<http://www.ka.sara.nl/home/walter/pam%5Fshield/README.txt> describes
http://www.ka.sara.nl/home/walter/pam%5Fshield/ .

I still think that fail2ban is a better approach.

-- Asheesh.

--
Sendmail may be safely run set-user-id to root.
 		-- Eric Allman, "Sendmail Installation Guide"