[Dovecot] Help please: Migrating Courier imap - Dovecot (Postfix virtual mailbox domains)

Sun Dec 16 23:41:09 EET 2007

On 12/16/2007, Marcus Rueckert (darix at opensu.se) wrote:
> i would rather say "use the latest package that comes with your
> distro". for most users this is a better decision. admins often
> forget to check for security updates for home built stuff.

If 'the latest package that comes with your distro' is massively
outdated, I would disagree wholeheartedly.

Not to start a distro war, but this is one of the reasons I use Gentoo -
I don't have to worry about being boxed in by my distro, and can run
cutting edge versions of specific software that matters to me, and at
the same time keep the rest of my system nice and stable.

Of course this doesn't mean that you can't stay current with other
distros, but sometimes it is a bit more work - and if you rely on the
official distro provider (like SuSE or Redhat) for support, then staying
up to date could impari that support, at least for that particular package.

--

Best regards,

Charles