[Dovecot] Start using Dovecot

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Dec 19 16:50:53 EET 2007

At 3:24 PM +0100 12/19/07, Isaak wrote:
>Hey,I have recently set up Dovecot on my server but I have trouble
>with using it.
>
>I'm using Dovecot 1.0.rc15, SQL password and user database with the
>SQL config files provided on the home page.

You should start by using a more modern version: at least the final
1.0 release,  preferably 1.0.9.

>I'm using Thunderbird to connect to Dovecot.
>
>When trying to connect it gives me an internal server error: User not found
>
>Is there anything else I need to do before I can use Dovecot?

You need to validate the SQL config *for your system* and make sure
that the username/password combination that you are using really
exists in your database and is really is returned by the query
defined in the conf file you tell Dovecot to use. See
http://wiki.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/SQL

>Here's my configuration, any help would be appreciated.
>
># /etc/dovecot.conf
>log_path: /var/log/dovecot.log
>info_log_path: /var/log/dovecot.info.log
[...]
>mail_debug: yes
[...]
>auth default:
>   verbose: yes
>   debug: yes
>   debug_passwords: yes

That combination ought to yield useful messages in the logs about the failure.

If your database server logs queries as well, you may get useful info
from those logs as well.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com