[Dovecot] Squirrelmail + Dovecot + Maildir

Daniel Watts d at nielwatts.com
Thu Dec 20 14:45:05 EET 2007

Troy Engel wrote:
> Vicki Stanfield wrote:
>>
>> Here is what I see in /etc/squirrelmail/config.php
>>
>> $optional_delimiter     = '.';
>> [snip]
>> $default_folder_prefix          = '';
>> $trash_folder                   = 'Trash';
>> $sent_folder                    = 'Sent';
>> $draft_folder                   = 'Drafts';
>> $default_move_to_trash          = true;
>> $default_move_to_sent           = true;
>> $default_save_as_draft          = true;
>
> This may or not be related, but I had a lot of trouble getting SM to
> work in it's "dovecot" mode, I'm not sure it's entirely up to snuff - I
> haven't spent the time to debug. Instead I switched it back to Courier
> mode (we migrated from Courier) and it works like a champ - you just
> need to adjust your $default_folder_prefix if you don't actually run
> Dovecot in Courier-like mode (namespace), I do believe.
>
> Here are what I believe to be the bits out of my config.php that matter:
>
> $imapServerAddress      = '127.0.0.1';
> $imapPort               = 143;
> $imap_server_type       = 'courier';
> $invert_time            = false;
> $optional_delimiter     = '.';
>
> $default_folder_prefix          = 'INBOX.';
> $trash_folder                   = 'Trash';
> $sent_folder                    = 'Sent';
> $draft_folder                   = 'Drafts';
> $default_move_to_trash          = true;
> $default_move_to_sent           = true;
> $default_save_as_draft          = true;
> $show_prefix_option             = false;
> $auto_expunge                   = true;
> $default_sub_of_inbox           = false;
> $show_contain_subfolders_option = false;
> $auto_create_special            = true;
> $delete_folder                  = true;
> $noselect_fix_enable            = false;
>
> $allow_thread_sort        = true;
> $allow_server_sort        = true;
> $allow_charset_search     = true;
> $uid_support              = true;
>
> $no_list_for_subscribe = false;
> $imap_auth_mech = 'login';
> $use_imap_tls = false;
>
> The matching namespace in dovecot.conf that goes along with this is:
>
> # Courier-IMAP friendly
> namespace private {
>   separator = .
>   prefix = INBOX.
>   inbox = yes
> }
>
> Hope this helps some,
> -te

We use dovecot+squirrelmail+maildir without problems:

$imapPort               = 1143; #imapproxy on this port
$useSendmail            = false;
$smtpServerAddress      = 'localhost';
$smtpPort               = 25;
$sendmail_path          = '/usr/sbin/sendmail';
$sendmail_args          = '-i -t';
$pop_before_smtp        = false;
$imap_server_type       = 'dovecot';
$invert_time            = false;
$optional_delimiter     = 'detect';
$encode_header_key      = '';

$default_folder_prefix          = '';
$trash_folder                   = 'Trash';
$sent_folder                    = 'Sent';
$draft_folder                   = 'Drafts';
$default_move_to_trash          = true;
$default_move_to_sent           = true;
$default_save_as_draft          = true;
$show_prefix_option             = false;
$list_special_folders_first     = true;
$use_special_folder_color       = true;
$auto_expunge                   = false;
$default_sub_of_inbox           = false;
$show_contain_subfolders_option = false;
$default_unseen_notify          = 2;
$default_unseen_type            = 1;
$auto_create_special            = true;
$delete_folder                  = false;
$noselect_fix_enable            = false;

Namespaces are:

# default namespace
namespace private {
         separator = /
         prefix =
         inbox = yes
         #location = maildir:/home/virtual/%h

}

# for backwards compatibility:
namespace private {
         separator = /
         prefix = mail/
         location = maildir:/home/virtual/%h

         hidden = yes
}

If no luck use a network sniffer eg tcpdump to intercept the IMAP
commands and see what command is actually "malformed".

Dan