[Dovecot] imap+unix users and pop3+virtual users

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Dec 21 18:11:32 EET 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 13:28 -0500, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
> > Dovecot doesn't assume anything based on '/' suffix. In fact it always
> > just strips it, so there's no difference whatsoever if it's there or
> > not.
>
> Not true.
>
> Using either dovecot-1.1_beta11 or dovecot-1.0.0 (from hg).
>

> Using mail_location = ~/test-mail/, it errors out with:

Well, okay, autodetection is a different thing. :) I didn't think of it.
But even there Dovecot doesn't itself check if there's a '/' suffix.
It's just that stat("test-mail/") happens to return an error if
test-mail is a file, while it works for a directory.

If you specify the maildir: or mbox: prefix (as is preferred), then the
suffix is always removed.