[Dovecot] dovecot: auth(default): LDAP: ldap_result() failed: Can't contact LDAP server

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Dec 28 22:40:59 EET 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 21:19 +0100, Rolf E. Sonneveld wrote:
> >>     * is there a reason that Dovecot wants to keep the LDAP connection open?
> >>

> > If there are no timeouts, there's not much point in wasting time and
> > reconnecting for no reason.
> >

> There are all sorts of situations where timeouts will occur: load
> balancers, firewalls, etc. Furthermore, keeping connections open will
> require extra resources on both client- and server side; in large-scale
> environments this can lead to problems.

In large scale environments I'd think there won't be much idle time for
the connection to ever get disconnected. And you know it is only 1 or 2
connections per Dovecot server.

I don't know how much resources a connection takes from LDAP server
side, but on client side it's pretty much nothing. It certainly would
take a lot more CPU and network usage to disconnect when idling.

If enough people ask for a configurable timeout setting with good enough
reasons I might add it, but I'm not yet convinced there's any point in
having it.