[Dovecot] 1.1b13 build in FreeBSD fails using 'make'; 'gmake' apparently required

Gerard gerard at seibercom.net
Mon Dec 31 14:16:38 EET 2007

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:56:16 +0100
Riemer Palstra <riemer at palstra.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 06:49:53AM -0500, Gerard wrote:
> > Might I suggest the following:
> >
> > 1) Contact the Dovecot port maintainer and inform him/her of your
> > problem. They may not be aware of it, or it might be something
> > else.
>
> But isn't the problem that the OP is *not* using the port? Assuming
> that e.g. make will always be GNU make, or tar always being GNU tar,
> isn't the best bet on most platforms.

If he is not using the port and I fail to see any any good reason not
to, then he is pretty much on his own. Putting a 'WARNING' notice up on
'wiki' probably would not be a bad idea. It might server to prevent
other users from wasting this forum's time with these sort of postings.
Expecting Timo to craft a special build niche build is absurd. He
already is working far too hard keeping Dovecot ahead of the pack.

There is also the possibility that the OP needs some special function or
handling of Dovecot that the port does not support. Informing the
maintainer would be a good way of getting this sort of matter taken
care of. The OP did not express any special needs, and my crystal ball
is off for the holidays, so I am not able to fathom what they might or
might not be.

By the way, I would have thought that it was obvious that make != gmake.

--

Gerard
gerard at seibercom.net

Wethern's Law:

	Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups.