[Dovecot] 1.1b13 build in FreeBSD fails using 'make'; 'gmake' apparently required

snowcrash schneecrash+dovecot at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 16:35:34 EET 2007

> > But isn't the problem that the OP is *not* using the port? Assuming
> > that e.g. make will always be GNU make, or tar always being GNU tar,
> > isn't the best bet on most platforms.

Riemer is correct.  I am NOT using the port.  Rather, I am doing a
build from src, and following the posted instructions.

That's my point.  @doc/wiki, 'make' is mentioned & 'freebsd' is
mentioned.  'gmake' never is.

> If he is not using the port and I fail to see any any good reason not

Um, maybe because the port installs version 1.0.9, not 1.1beta13?

> then he is pretty much on his own.

This is the Dovecot list, not the FreeBSD list, no?  I'd guess that
the "standard operating procedure" is to follow Dovecot-posted
instructions ...
... which, afaict, are
(a) build from src
(b) install prebuilt binaries

for FreeBSD, the binary instructions
(http://wiki.dovecot.org/PrebuiltBinaries#head-3c4277d1ae4fd12cdc6360a32f325bc78561cb4d)
specifically state :

  cd /usr/ports/mail/dovecot; make install

which, by the way, are incorrect in that they're NOT for installing a
"prebuilt binary", which can be done -- but rather for BUILDING from
port source)

> from wasting this forum's time with these sort of postings.

Wasting time?  Wasting time is rudely commenting on things when you
have your facts wrong ... you might want to check yours.

> Expecting Timo to craft a special build niche build is absurd.

"Special niche build"?  Um, what?

> By the way, I would have thought that it was obvious that make != gmake.

Considering that it is on OSX,

 ls -al `which make` `which gmake` `which gnumake`
   -rwxr-xr-x 1 root    wheel 316576 2007-09-23 16:05 /usr/bin/gnumake
   lrwxr-xr-x 1 root    wheel      7 2007-10-02 13:58 /usr/bin/make -> gnumake
   lrwxrwxrwx 1 sc      wheel     13 2007-03-22 18:12
/usr/local/bin/gmake -> /usr/bin/make

and,

  http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/make.1.html

as well as on linux,