[Dovecot] 1.1b13 build in FreeBSD fails using 'make'; 'gmake' apparently required

Jeff Grossman jeff at stikman.com
Mon Dec 31 18:39:05 EET 2007

Gerard wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 08:12:24 -0800
> snowcrash <schneecrash+dovecot at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> hi frank,
>>

>>> Yes, that's true. But I had never problems to test new versions
>>> with a modified port. I copied the port files to a new directory
>>> and changed the Makefile, e.g.:
>>>
>> (snip)
>>
>>> This works on FreeBSD-7 in a jail.
>>>
>> that's good to know. thanks!
>>
>> (btw, what were your base JAIL buildworld make.conf specs for the
>> dovecot-containing jail?  if you can share, please email me offlist
>> ...)
>>
>> nonetheless, isn't it a bit ironic -- in this thread, anyway -- after
>> being told "you're on your own" for using recommended/supported
>> procedures, and barked @ for not using the standard port, that doing
>> something completely unsupported, which works fortuitously, especially
>> since there are some significant differences between v109 an v11bXXX,
>> is deemed "like an excellent idea"?  lol.
>>

> I fail to see a contradiction. Frank described one very useful method
> of testing a beta product derived from an existing FBSD port. I use
> tinderbox myself, but that is irrelevant. If the OP had asked that
> question on the FBSD forum, he might well have received a satisfactory
> response also.
>
> The OP, whom obviously is not fully aware of the build intricacies on a
> FBSD system -- not that I claim to be either -- wanted Timo to invest
> his time in building a custom product for him to test. Now that I
> consider absurd.

I disagree with that statement.  I think the OP was stating that the
build instructions on the wiki never mention anything about possibly
having to use gmake instead of make in a FreeBSD system.  I think it was
very usual information that should be added to the wiki for anybody who
uses FreeBSD to build that might have the same setup as the OP.

This mailing list and the wiki are support tools for Dovecot and I think
we need to use them that way.

Jeff