[Dovecot] Planning a dovecot deployment: issues and questions

Dan Price dp at eng.sun.com
Fri Feb 2 01:22:21 UTC 2007

On Thu 01 Feb 2007 at 06:08PM, Jens Knoell wrote:
> On 02/01/2007 04:44 PM, Dan Price wrote:
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >$ diff dovecot.conf dovecot-example.conf
> >
> >< mail_location = mbox:~:INBOX=/var/mail/%u:INDEX=%h/Mail/imapd-indices
> >
> That one does sound a bit fishy. Are the index files even compatible to
> each other?

I'm sorry-- I made up the name Mail/imapd-indices myself.  Only dovecot
is using that directory.

> Biggest single folder size is around 1.5GByte, no idea how many mails.
> Average access time to that folder from Thunderbird is about 15 seconds
> or so for initial loading, pretty much instant when opening any mail in
> there. Indexing it from scratch takes quite a bit longer though, about 7
> minutes.

It does help some :)  I should have mentioned that we are fairly
well tied to mbox format for now (and hence my comment about
scalability-- a 1.1GB mbox box is a sad thing; I wish I could remember
all the reasons why we felt compelled to stay with mbox-- I'll have to
go ask the sendmail guru.

Thanks,

        -dp

--