[Dovecot] Indexing Performance Question (was tpop3d vs dovecot)

Kenny Dail kend at amigo.net
Fri Feb 2 17:55:42 UTC 2007

> What's sad with these tests is it takes 2m15s to read all the data in
> 71570 individual files, and only 15s to do it in 1 file.  Granted
> there's a bit of overhead from the shell script looping, but not
> *that* much!  I wonder how these tests would go on a different file
> system.  I'm currently using reiserfs.

actually the loop adds a lot of overhead:
These commands were run right in a row so there is some speedup due to
cacheing, So I repeted test a few times.
Admittedly, this is a small maildir.

bash-2.05b# ls | wc
    1009    1009   75500

bash-2.05b# time for x in `ls` ; do cat $x > /dev/null ; done

real    0m3.670s
user    0m0.347s
sys     0m1.508s
bash-2.05b# time cat * > /dev/null

real    0m0.497s
user    0m0.015s
sys     0m0.071s
bash-2.05b# time for x in `ls` ; do cat $x > /dev/null ; done

real    0m2.237s
user    0m0.356s
sys     0m1.435s
bash-2.05b# time cat * > /dev/null

real    0m0.504s
user    0m0.001s
sys     0m0.086s
bash-2.05b# time for x in `ls` ; do cat $x > /dev/null ; done

real    0m2.415s
user    0m0.356s
sys     0m1.550s

--