[Dovecot] minor kerberized dovecot build issue

Dan Price dp at eng.sun.com
Fri Feb 2 21:25:27 UTC 2007

Hi all, again,

I'm not knowledgeable about Kerberos, but we have a few users who use it
to make sure that it works well on Solaris... so, they would like
a Kerberized IMAPd.  I tried compiling dovecot --with-gssapi on
Solaris Nevada (the current development release), and the configure
script choked for a couple of reasons.  First, script uses 'grep -qv'
in the case that you specify --with-gssapi to run some test.

Unfortunately, Solaris doesn't have 'grep -q'.  There's a note in GNU grep's
manpage about this problem and a note that portable scripts should just
redirect to /dev/null.  Once I fixed this problem, I got:

configure: WARNING: gssapi/gssapi.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: gssapi/gssapi.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: gssapi/gssapi.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: gssapi/gssapi.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be
+Compiled"
configure: WARNING: gssapi/gssapi.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: gssapi/gssapi.h: in the future, the compiler will take
+precedence
configure: WARNING:     ## ---------------------------------- ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to dovecot at dovecot.org ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ---------------------------------- ##

For whatever reason, on Solaris /usr/bin/krb5-config does not like
the syntax 'krb5-config --cflags gssapi' (ditto with --libs).  I found
that removing the 'gssapi' part from the configure script fixed the problem,
but I imagine this must break some other OS.  If need be, I can follow
up with the Kerberos team about this.

Once I made these minor changes, I also had to add -lgss to the src/auth
makefile's compile line.  After that, I had no problem getting this to
compile, although we have not yet tested it.

        -dp

--
Daniel Price - Solaris Kernel Engineering - dp at eng.sun.com - blogs.sun.com/dp