[Dovecot] Test suite? Was [Dovecot-news] 1.0.rc21 released

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Feb 5 11:11:05 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 20:56 -0600, Eric Rostetter wrote:
> Quoting Ethan Sommer <sommere at gac.edu>:
>
> >> Maybe a test suite next time,
> > A test suite sounds like an excellent idea, which I might be interested
> > in implementing. How would such a beat work.
>
> Best practices is a unit test suite, to test every function/routine
> as thoroughly as possible.

I think the real problem is how to test all the code paths. Especially
testing against race conditions isn't really possible without inserting
some checkpoints into the code to block at specific points so the test
can even work. I'm more interested in that and in checking error
handling paths than just calling all the public functions with different
parameters and checking if they work.

I won't implement a unit test suite anytime soon though, so for now if
someone's interested, an IMAP-based test suite would be possible to
implement quite easily with some perl scripts or something. Even better
if such test suite was made server-independent.