[Dovecot] pop3 not working properly in 1.0.r19

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Feb 5 14:21:26 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 14:48 +0100, Charlie Root wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I often see this message:
> Feb  1 14:42:44 vlk dovecot: POP3(obec at nizkov.cz): Mailbox init failed top=0/0,
> retr=0/0, del=0/0, size=0
> Feb  1 14:42:44 vlk dovecot: POP3(obec at nizkov.cz): mbox sync: UID inserted in
> the middle of mailbox /var/mail/obec at nizkov.cz (68386 > 68346, seq=2, idx_msgs=3)
>
> this is on FreeBSD at i386 runnin 1.0.r19 (but I have seen this with all versions
> of 1.0.x), filesystem in use is UFS (ie. local filesystem). THe mailing client
> in question seems to be outlook express. I can provide the mbox in question.

If you can reproduce this, I'd like to know how. If this happens every
time with that mbox, that would be enough. In that case I'd like to have
the mbox and its index files.

If this happens only randomly, then.. well, it has been caused by
different things in the past, and debugging it is annoyingly difficult.
I could try to make some debugging patches I guess.

I think usually the cause has been either a sequence of some headers
that Dovecot didn't like, or some external mbox modification which broke
things. Actually in the latter case this is not necessarily even a bug.