[Dovecot] 1.0.rc22 released

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 6 20:58:35 UTC 2007

On 6.2.2007, at 22.51, Dan Price wrote:

>> 2) The system I/O load in general could grow, which would make the
>> system slower for everyone.
>>
>> I think 1) isn't that big of an issue normally since the delays
>> should
>> be fractions of a second, but 2) is.
>
> We're in agreement on (1), but I don't think I understand (2).

I'm mostly thinking that if the data isn't written to disk before
it's updated again, there's no need to write it twice then.

> I think any IMAP daemon would want to get its bits out to the
> platter in
> a reasonable time frame so that changes to the box don't sit in
> dirty VM
> or buffer cache pages in the event of power fail or catastrophe.

Yes, but doesn't that normally happen with all filesystem in
"reasonable amount of time" anyway? I thought it was always around
few seconds to a minute or so, but I don't know this for a fact.