[Dovecot] --log-error and the mysterious "not starting" problem

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Feb 12 18:15:01 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 11:07 -0500, Marshal Newrock wrote:
> Dovecot still fails to start, as near as I can tell, in the specific
> condition that it is being started from a non-interactive shell and
> there is a mail_plugin set in "protocol imap".  mail plugins set for
> pop or lda do not cause this problem.  The failure to start appears in
> only two instances that I can see: on boot, or by a monitoring script
> if dovecot crashes, or, since I haven't seen dovecot die, when I
> manually stop it to see if the monitoring program will restart it.

It wrote the error message to stderr, but I guess it wasn't shown in the
screen or logged?

Anyway, fix here:
http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2007-February/007637.html

Another workaround would be to set imap_capability manually so Dovecot
doesn't need to run the dump-capability process (it checks if plugins
added more capabilities).