[Dovecot] 1.0.rc22 released

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Feb 14 15:53:22 UTC 2007

Timo Sirainen schrieb:

> Actually I'm missing one fsync() here with maildir. I should open the
> new/ directory and fsync() it too. Currently I'm just fsyncing the
> individual maildir files.

That should suffice on those file systems I consider reasonable, such as
ext3fs (Linux) or FFS/UFS/UFS2 with softupdates (softdep, *BSD), even
the junkyard of reiserfs, in the sense that fsync() on a file here will
flush the entire journal and thus make sure that the directory blocks
are also synched.

It will make a difference on Linux's ext2 unless you mount with
-odirsync which makes directory changes synchronous operations.

Note that I last queried file system authors on the linux-kernel list
about this in the early Linux 2.4.X days, i. e. years ago.

HTH,
Matthias Andree