[Dovecot] DoveCot compression to save HDD space

Dan Price dp at eng.sun.com
Wed Feb 14 18:54:30 UTC 2007

On Wed 14 Feb 2007 at 06:17PM, Host Expert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am thinking on RAID1 and also on compression... To maximise number of
> users.

Well, I know I'll come off sounding like a shill for the company I work
for.  But: consider deploying ZFS[1].  RAID and Compression are both built
in features.  Regardless of filesystem, on modern systems, there's not
much performance penalty for using modest levels of compression-- in fact,
some workloads counter-intuitively go *faster* due to the reduction in disk
I/O!

        -dp

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS

--