[Dovecot] Dovecot not responding

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Thu Feb 15 03:09:21 UTC 2007

Andrew Hoag wrote:

> SYN, it doesn't seem to be a routing issue, and I can connect to my
> local interface on port 993 (NOT localhost) without problems.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this statement, but it sounds
like you're saying you can connect to 993 on the local interface *from
that machine*. So, what happens when you do a 'telnet <server> 993' from
off the machine, do you at least get the standard '^]' banner?

I always debug starting from the outside in, not the inside out. This
will rule out firewalls and the like being your problem, which tends to
be the problem a lot of the time. Maybe during reboot some
long-forgotten iptables rules got installed?

-te

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer
Fluid Inc. | http://www.fluid.com