[Dovecot] severe performance problem (mail cache related?)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Feb 16 10:54:06 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 02:49 -0800, Dan Price wrote:
> > So.. Hmm. Could the problem simply be that the mmap-copy-growing is too
> > slow? If the user really has some 25MB cache file, that could be it. I
> > think I could change the code so that it mmap()s immediately enough
> > memory to fit the whole cache file. Probably a good idea to do anyway.
>
> Cool-- of course, I missed that we were growing at pagesize (8K).

Yes, I didn't actually realize that before just now. That's horribly
slow. I'll have to make it grow the memory in larger chunks in any
case..

This should anyway help with the initial mapping:

http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2007-February/007695.html
http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2007-February/007697.html