[Dovecot] Dovecot proxy question (hostname instead of ip)

Wouter de Jong wouter at widexs.nl
Fri Feb 16 15:38:32 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 06:45:33PM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> It requires DNS resolving and there's no way to do nonblocking DNS
> resolving with libc. Although in login processes this wouldn't matter as
> long as login_process_per_connection=yes. Then again in proxying use
> that setting is often set to "no"..

I've set it to yes for the moment, since it's not a live situation yet I
can't really tell if the system can handle it or not so I play 'secure'
for now :)

> Nonblocking DNS resolving could be done with an external library, or I
> could of course implement my own. But since proxy is the pretty much the
> only place where this currently could be useful, I haven't really
> bothered to do either of those.

This would be very cool... but I think a bit too much to be asked from you
at the moment :)

> Or I could simply implement the blocking DNS resolving and you'll just
> have to make sure that your DNS servers are always responding and doing
> it fast enough not to cause problems.

Make it configurable ? --with-proxy-resolving or so ... or better yet, a
.conf option. This way ppl can make their own choices :)

I've overcome our 'problem' by doing a JOIN with a hostname->ip table in
MySQL. Not very nice, but with query-caching & auth-cache it should be workable.

--
WideXS                          http://www.widexs.nl
Wouter de Jong                  System-Administrator