[Dovecot] Problem moving emails with attachments or HTML links

J. Wren Hunt wren at hunt.org
Sun Feb 18 17:46:31 UTC 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:

>> After thinking about it, I realize that these problems happen when I
>> move messages from a commercial IMAP email provider (fastmail.fm) to
>> my own, home server (running Dovecot 1.0.rc15 on Ubuntu).  In all cases
>> my client of choice is Thunderbird 1.x & 2.x run from an equal mix of
>> Windows, Mac OS/X and Linux platforms.
>
> Well, I've heard this happening with some people, but I've never been
> able to reproduce it myself. Also I haven't heard of this happening
> lately.
>
> Do you connect with SSL to Dovecot? By "home server" do you mean it's
> running in the same computer as your Thunderbird? Or same local network?

Yes, *all* of my IMAP connections use SSL (running on port 993;
wrenhunt.com). My local IMAP server is on its own box and separate and
different than my clients (Windows and Mac boxes).

> Are you able to easily reproduce this? Could you try enabling rawlog
> (http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html) and check what is the last thing
> that happens before it hangs?

I've posted the 2 log files here:

http://wrenhunt.homelinux.org/sandbox/20070218-122930-1113.in
http://wrenhunt.homelinux.org/sandbox/20070218-122930-1113.out

These logs reflect me moving 2 emails from one IMAP server (fastmail.fm)
  to my own box (wrenhunt.com). The first 2 work fine, then the 3rd
times out. The client in this case was Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 running on
Mac OS X  10.4.8

Thanks for your assistance in debugging this sucker!

Wren