[Dovecot] Reproducible duplicate messages bug with Mail.app+Dovecot

Andrew Moran amoran at forsythia.net
Sun Feb 18 19:00:51 UTC 2007

Just a final followup on this issue.   I tried a beta build of the
Mail.app that comes in Leopard and I couldn't reproduce the problem,
so I'm just going to chalk this up to Mail.app weirdness.

One difference I do notice is that in Mail.app 2.1, when I delete
messages, the messages don't actually get removed from the server
until I quit Mail.app.  (I'm not an expert in IMAP but I think that
means its marking it as deleted but not expunging until quitting,
which I think is normal behavior for an imap client?)   In the
Mail.app, the messages disappear from the server as soon as I click
on another folder.   I'm going to guess this has something to do with
the duplicated messages issue.

Anyway, since it's not that annoying and it seems to be fixed in
future versions, I'm going to lay this one to rest.  Thanks for
everyone's help on it.

--Andy

On Feb 12, 2007, at 10:44 AM, Andrew Moran wrote:

> Hey Timo,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> Yes, the original set is still gone, which is the odd thing about
> this.   It's only the new set that show up duplicates.   And as for
> my Trash settings, I have it "Move deleted messages to the Trash
> mailbox" and "Store deleted messages on the server" checked.
>
> I'm surprised you aren't seeing the same behavior as myself as we
> have very similar setups.   I have tried using different machines,
> and different accounts, and I always get the same behavior --
> messages show up twice after moving messages if  other messages
> were deleted (but not expunged) in that folder.
>
> Someone else suggested I use dovecot logging, so I'll look into that.
>
> --Andy
>
> On Feb 12, 2007, at 9:00 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 12:00 -0800, Andrew Moran wrote:
>>> Server: Dovecot 1.0rc22 using Maildir on FreeBSD 6.1
>>
>> Linux here.
>>
>>> Client:  Mail.app 2.1 on OS X 10.4.8
>>
>> Same here. Says 2.1 (752/752.2).
>>
>>> 1) Create a new imap folder (let's say "bar")
>>> 2) Drag more than one message (let's say 3 or 4) from existing imap
>>> folder "foo" to new folder "bar".
>>
>> By this I suppose you mean the move operation, which does internally
>> COPY + STORE \Deleted for the selected messages.
>>
>>> 3) Click on new folder "bar" and see messages in there.
>>> 4) Select messages and delete them (Delete key).  Messages are gone
>>> as expected.
>>
>> So just mark them deleted, no expunge?

>>> into
>>> new folder "bar"
>>> 6) Click on bar.
>>> 7) You will notice that all the second set of messages show up