[Dovecot] startup script under FreeBSD 6.2 / dovecot-1.0rc22

Marshal Newrock marshal at idealso.com
Tue Feb 20 07:20:09 UTC 2007

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 23:32:27 +0100
Alexis Susset <admin at munai.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently installed Dovecot rc22 from the FreeBSD ports and I have
> some problem with the dovecot startup:
> - If I start dovecot manually, it works fine, it starts and I get
> messages in /var/log/maillog
> - If I reboot the machine, that's where the problem appears, dovecot
> doesn't seem to start and I get nothing, no errors in /var/log/maillog
>
> Any idea if this is a known problem and how to fix it ?

This sounds similar to a problem I've been having.  You're the first
person I know of, though, that has seen a similar problem.  This is
made even more puzzling by the fact that I'm using Gentoo and you're on
FreeBSD.

In my case, the problem occurs when a mail_plugin is set in the
"protocol imap" section (and only there).  As near as I can tell,
dovecot only fails when started from a non-interactive shell or
background process (I'm not sure which is the actual culprit). Using
"screen -D -m" to start dovecot bypasses this problem.

--
Marshal Newrock
Ideal Solution, LLC - http://www.idealso.com