[Dovecot] Solaris/SSLonly/Lots of Users

Steven F Siirila sfs at tc.umn.edu
Thu Feb 22 17:10:12 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 11:26:45AM -0600, Steven F Siirila wrote:
> Anyone running Dovecot on Solaris, requiring only SSL connections, and
> servicing thousands of simultaneous users?  Our past attempts to do so
> have failed due to dovecot-auth using up all 256 of its file descriptors.
> I say 256 since we are limited to that by the 32-bit libraries.
> We are looking at either compiling Dovecot in 64-bit and letting dovecot-auth
> file descriptors accumulate (not ideal), or providing Timo with access to
> one of our test servers so he can debug the problem.  However, I would
> like to hear of anyone in the same boat first.  Thanks!

Thanks all for the various replies to my original post.  However...

UPDATE:

After upgrading from rc15 to rc23 the problem appears to have magically
gone away.  Timo has apparently fixed this, intentionally or otherwise.  :)

Note that we are using defaults for all 'login_' config items except:

login_processes_count = 32
login_max_processes_count = 4096

Now we can finally proceed with our upgrade from UW-IMAP to Dovecot.

--

Steven F. Siirila			Office: Lind Hall, Room 130B
Internet Services			E-mail: sfs at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology	Voice: (612) 626-0244
University of Minnesota			Fax: (612) 626-7593