[Dovecot] 1.0.rc24 released

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Feb 26 11:58:59 UTC 2007

Dan Price schrieb:
> On Fri 23 Feb 2007 at 12:04AM, Jay Chandler wrote:
>> Matthias Andree wrote:
>>> It's outright annoying and offensive if many people gather in the lobby
>>> and shout for 1.0, of which many will just see the outside (how it
>>> behaves) but not the inside (the code itself).
>>>
>>> It's 1.0 if it's done, and I hope not a day sooner.
>>>
>> I understand what you're saying, but realize that some of us have
>> pointy-haired bosses who refuse to consider ANYTHING until it's hit
>> "version 1.0."  Personally I think it's a ridiculous and arbitrary
>
> Consider yourself lucky.  A lot of pointy hairs won't consider anything
> until it's version 2.0.

And why's that? Most likely because they've all too often seen some 0.3
version marketed as 1.0 for funding or marketing reasons that was not
ready to market at its time -- too tight deadlines promised, problem
complexity underestimated -- reasons enough.

And what's the problem with PHB meddling in the affairs of his tech
staff anyways?  If PHB has the time to be involved in such discussions
rather than handing on a set of fit criteria to the CTO, he's got too
little work, with all due consequences 8-)

I'm always at a loss when end users who have rarely, if ever, seen the
internal code, i. e. looked behind the scenes, make any statements to
code quality, 1.0 readiness and everything.