[Dovecot] DvCot/PstFix Virtual Domains Virtual Users PAM Authentication - How pls

Kyle kl at attitia.com
Mon Jan 1 01:28:17 UTC 2007

Hi Folks, I'm hoping some one can set me straight here please.

Postfix 2.1.5
Dovecot 0.99.11-2

I have Postfix set up on a new box with Virtual Domains and Virtual
Users using MailDir format with their mail homes in
/var/spool/mail/<domain>/<user>

I want Dovecot to login using  PAM Authentication. The idea is to host
multiple domains which each have multiple aliases which resolve to one
email account for their respective domain but  using a user name which
actually _is_ a system user.

So I might have;

jo at abc.com
joe at abc.com
joey at abc.com
pete at abc.com
peter at abc.com

jo at xyz.com
joe at xyz.com
joey at xyz.com
pete at xyz.com
peter at xyz.com

where 'joe' and 'peter' are both system users each with mail homes of;

/var/spool/mail/abc.com/joe
/var/spool/mail/abc.com/peter

/var/spool/mail/xyz.com/joe
/var/spool/mail/xyz.com/peter

In my dovecot.conf, I have;

auth_userdb = static uid=89 gid=89 home=/var/spool/mail/%d/%u
auth_passdb = pam

If I login with just 'joe', I get;

Fatal: chdir(/var/spool/mail//joe) failed with uid 89: Not a directory

Fair enough, that sounds logical to me. But if I then login with
'joe at abc.com', I get;

PAM: pam_authenticate(joe at abc.com) failed: Authentication failure

So it appears Dovecot is checking PAM for 'joe at abc.com' rather than just
'joe'. How can I make it check for just 'joe' please?

Kind Regards

Kyle