[Dovecot] trouble debugging

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jan 6 01:19:15 UTC 2007

On 6.1.2007, at 2.52, Aaron Solochek wrote:

> I want to switch away from bincimap, and I am having some trouble
> getting dovecot up and running. Something isn't working (I suspect
> it's a permissions problem) but the logs aren't really telling me
> anything interesting.
>
> I can authenticate and get a list of folders, but when I try to
> select a folder, I get the "Internal error" message that tells me
> to check the server logs.  The server log shows:
>
> Jan  5 19:43:42 sausage dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<aarons>,
> method=plain, rip=XXX, lip=XXX, TLS
> Jan  5 19:43:43 sausage dovecot: IMAP(aarons): Effective uid=1000,
> gid=1000
> Jan  5 19:43:43 sausage dovecot: IMAP(aarons): Namespace:
> type=private, prefix=, sep=/, inbox=yes, hidden=no, subscriptions=no
> Jan  5 19:43:43 sausage dovecot: IMAP(aarons): maildir: data=/XXX/
> aarons/Maildir
> Jan  5 19:43:43 sausage dovecot: IMAP(aarons): maildir: root=/XXX/
> aarons/Maildir, index=/XXX/aarons/Maildir, control=, inbox=
>
> How can I get better debugging info?  I've tried all the debugging
> options in dovecot.conf.

You're showing only the debugging information, not the actual error
message. If you don't see the error, it's probably because it's
logged into different log file. Many syslogs are configured to write
"info" messages to different log file than "error" messages. So try
finding the actual error message from another file. If you can't find
it, set log_path manually to some file and look there.