[Dovecot] trouble debugging

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jan 6 01:46:49 UTC 2007

On 6.1.2007, at 3.35, Aaron Solochek wrote:

>>> I can authenticate and get a list of folders, but when I try to
>>> select a folder, I get the "Internal error" message that tells me
>>> to check the server logs.  The server log shows:
>>>
>>> Jan  5 19:43:42 sausage dovecot: imap-login: Login:
>>> user=<aarons>, method=plain, rip=XXX, lip=XXX, TLS
>>> Jan  5 19:43:43 sausage dovecot: IMAP(aarons): Effective
>>> uid=1000, gid=1000
>>> Jan  5 19:43:43 sausage dovecot: IMAP(aarons): Namespace:
>>> type=private, prefix=, sep=/, inbox=yes, hidden=no, subscriptions=no
>>> Jan  5 19:43:43 sausage dovecot: IMAP(aarons): maildir: data=/XXX/
>>> aarons/Maildir
>>> Jan  5 19:43:43 sausage dovecot: IMAP(aarons): maildir: root=/XXX/
>>> aarons/Maildir, index=/XXX/aarons/Maildir, control=, inbox=
>>>
>>> How can I get better debugging info?  I've tried all the
>>> debugging options in dovecot.conf.
>> You're showing only the debugging information, not the actual
>> error message. If you don't see the error, it's probably because
>> it's logged into different log file. Many syslogs are configured
>> to write "info" messages to different log file than "error"
>> messages. So try finding the actual error message from another
>> file. If you can't find it, set log_path manually to some file and
>> look there.
>
> I tried that (I just tried again) and I get the exact same info in
> my manually specified /tmp/dovecot.log.  I ensured that file was
> world-writeable just to be safe.

And there's nothing after those? I can't really say anything else
than that if "internal error" comes, there is _always_ written an
error message about it in the logs, and none of the above messages
are an error..

What about if you set log_path and info_log_path to different files?
Is the log_path's file totally empty all the time?