[Dovecot] LDAP authentication stops working...

Adrian Close adrian at close.wattle.id.au
Tue Jan 9 02:59:06 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm running dovecot-1.0.rc17 on OpenBSD 3.9, using userdb and passdb
methods of "ldap" (SSL on 636/tcp) in addition to "passwd".

Occasionally (generally after a few hours of operation, but not always),
LDAP-based logins stop working (e.g. hang/timeout after POP3 PASS
command).  Accounts with local passwords (as opposed to accounts with a
password field of "x") still work fine at this point.

'tcpdump' shows the persisient 636/tcp connection still with bidirectional
traffic (PUSH/ACKs and ACKs like normal).

After restarting Dovecot, things are fine until next time.

I guess I could try and get login_ldap working with bsdauth, but if
there's an issue in the Dovecot LDAP support I'd like to see it fixed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Adrian Close

P.S.  I note the LDAP timeout logging patch but it won't apply easily to
rc17 and I'm hoping the issue has progressed since then anyway...