[Dovecot] some Maildir files not honoring dovecot-shared

Glenn Leavell glenn at usg.edu
Tue Jan 9 15:15:58 UTC 2007

I'm using RC15 on Solaris 9.  The wiki indicates that when a dovecot-shared
file exists, "Dovecot uses the same permissions and GID when it creates
index files, dovecot-uidlist file, new mail files, etc."   In my case,
Dovecot *is* creating new index files based on dovecot-shared, but
dovecot-uidlist and individual message files don't completely match the
permissions/group template.  Specifically, dovecot-uidlist isn't
taking the group from dovecot-uidlist, and individual messages files
don't seem to be honoring dovecot-shared at all (group or permissions).

Here's an example; every file and directory below in .abusetest-in was
created by Dovecot *except* for dovecot-shared (I let Dovecot create cur,
new, tmp just to see what it would do, but I know that I can create and fix
the group and permissions on these directories myself in a sharing
situation):

glenn at tony:~/Maildir/.abusetest-in$ ls -lR
.:
total 34
drwx------   2 glenn    adm          512 Jan  9 09:58 cur/
-rwxrwx---   1 glenn    abuse          0 Jan  9 09:57 dovecot-shared*
-rw-rw----   1 glenn    adm           44 Jan  9 09:58 dovecot-uidlist
-rw-rw----   1 glenn    abuse        156 Jan  9 09:58 dovecot.index
-rw-rw----   1 glenn    abuse      10272 Jan  9 09:58 dovecot.index.cache
-rw-rw----   1 glenn    abuse        156 Jan  9 09:58 dovecot.index.log
drwx------   2 glenn    adm          512 Jan  9 09:58 new/
drwx------   2 glenn    adm          512 Jan  9 09:58 tmp/

./cur:
total 4
-rw-------   2 glenn    adm         1438 Jan  5 09:59
1168354728.P15661Q0M891161.tony:2,S

./new:
total 0

./tmp:
total 0
glenn at tony:~/Maildir/.abusetest-in$

I see in the RC16 release notes that there was a fix for the
dovecot-keywords file, but it doesn't mention these other files.  Is this a
bug, or am I misunderstanding how the dovecot-shared file should work?

Thanks very much,
Glenn

--
Glenn Leavell <glenn at usg.edu>
Office of Information and Instructional Technology