[Dovecot] 1.0.rc17 released

Thomas Zajic zlatko at zlatko.fdns.net
Wed Jan 10 08:17:48 UTC 2007

* John Peacock, 2007-01-09 19:35

> [...]
> When trying to move large numbers of messages to Trash using Thunderbird
> 1.5.0.9, I would get "Lost connection with server" messages at anything
> over about 1500 messages.  The strange thing is that when I checked the
> trash folder, the deleted messages were there multiple times, i.e.
> everytime I attempted to move all messages to Trash, plus everytime it
> failed until I got below the magic number.
> [...]

I think this is a Thunderbird problem rather than a Dovecot one. I had
the same thing happening recently when I moved last year's logfiles to
my archive folder (36000+ messages).

Thunderbird would pop up the "Lost connection" error, and the (re)moved
messages showed up in Trash multiple times. I solved the problem by using
Mutt instead of Thunderbird to move the messages - it took a while, but it
worked on the first try without any hiccups whatsoever.

I haven't tried it, but tuning Thunderbirds timeout values might help.
It has a (global?) mailnews.tcptimeout which defaults to 60 seconds, and
a per-server mail.server.serverX.timeout which does not have a default
value assigned, but seems to get set to 29 seconds when you create your
account.

You can check/modify the timeout values in Thunderbird's "about:config"
page.

HTH,
Thomas