[Dovecot] LDAP authentication stops working...

J.M. Maurer mmaurer at betterbe.com
Wed Jan 10 15:07:03 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 09:54 +0000, Gavin Henry wrote:
> <quote who="Adrian Close">
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm running dovecot-1.0.rc17 on OpenBSD 3.9, using userdb and passdb
> > methods of "ldap" (SSL on 636/tcp) in addition to "passwd".
> >
> > Occasionally (generally after a few hours of operation, but not always),
> > LDAP-based logins stop working (e.g. hang/timeout after POP3 PASS
> > command).  Accounts with local passwords (as opposed to accounts with a
> > password field of "x") still work fine at this point.
>
> We also get this. Twice a day we have to restart dovecot, using userdb and
> passdb via LDAP, with userdb_prefetch.

Just to add: we moved from rc<something before 5> to rc15 recently, and
we now also see a lot of hangs with ldap_authbind.

The result handler for the initial ldap_search to find the dn to bind to
is never called. I assume Timo fscked something up recently in my
auth_bind code ;-P

Anyway, restarting ldap every hour or so with cron does the job :-|

I'd debug this if I had the time, but I won't have before next week.

Cheers,
   Marc