[Dovecot] Configuring Dovecot for use with Active Directory

Phil Anslemo uxphreak at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 23:19:46 UTC 2007

Hello,

My server is configured as follows:

FreeBSD 6.1
OpenLDAP 2.3.27
Cyrus SASL 2.1.21
Dovecot 1.0.rc15

I have PostFix configured to use SASL for SMTP AUTH, which in turn leverages OpenLDAP to verify users in Active Directory.  I do not have, nor want to in the future, local users in FreeBSD, so I've configured PostFix for Virtual Mailboxes.

Everything is working and I'm getting ready to configure Dovecot, but need clarification.  I want to make sure my dovecot-ldap.conf is properly configured and need another set of eyes to look at it (of course dovecot.conf should also be correct, but one thing at a time).  Here's my dovecot-ldap.conf file:

hosts = 192.168.0.240
#uris =
dn = cn=<BINDUSER>,ou=IT,ou=Central Office,dc=<DOMAIN>,dc=local
dnpass = <>PASSWORD
#sasl_bind = no
#sasl_mech =
#sasl_realm =
#sasl_authz_id =
auth_bind = yes
#auth_bind_userdn =
ldap_version = 3
base = dc=<DOMAIN>, dc=local
deref = never
scope = subtree
#user_filter = (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=%u))
#pass_attrs = uid=user,userPassword=password
#pass_attrs = uid=user,userPassword=password,homeDirectory=userdb_home,uidNumber=userdb_uid,gidNumber=userdb_gid
#pass_filter = (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=%u))
#default_pass_scheme = CRYPT
user_global_uid = 101
user_global_gid = 101

Your help is appreciated.